Inspirational Quotes for Expatriate Living
Because sometimes we need a reminder that we aren’t alone in this crazy journey through life of being an expat. These quotes are for expats. Anyone thinking of moving abroad. And our family and friends back home to get a better sense of the emotions we go through.
“It is a bitter-sweet thing, knowing two cultures. Once you leave your birthplace nothing is ever the same.” ― Sarah Turnbull
2. “All you will have is the present. Waste no energy crying over yesterday or dreaming of tomorrow. Nostalgia is fatiguing and destructive, it is the vice of the expatriate. You must put down roots as if they were forever, you must have a sense of permanence.”
― Isabel Allende
3. “Life might be difficult for a while, but I would tough it out because living in a foreign country is one of those things that everyone should try at least once. My understanding was that it completed a person, sanding down the rough provincial edges and transforming you into a citizen of the world.”- David Sadaris
4. “What I found appealing in life abroad was the inevitable sense of helplessness it would inspire. Equally exciting would be the work involved in overcoming that helplessness. There would be a goal involved, and I liked having goals.” – David Sadaris
5. “The ideal place for me is the one in which it is most natural to live as a foreigner.” –Italo Calvino
6. “The loneliness of the expatriate is of an odd and complicated kind, for it is inseparable from the feeling of being free, of having escaped.” –Adam Gopnik
7. “You know what else is nice about being a foreigner? Whatever you do takes place in a capsule that need not be discovered and opened by someone back home. Nothing really counts–it was the life that falls in the forest. That’s how I looked at it. I felt free to…oh, I don’t know.” –Patricia Marx
8. “Blessed are the curious for they shall have all the adventures” -lovelle drachman
9. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time” – Hannah Arendt
10. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things” -Henry Miller
Do you have any favorite quotes about being an expat ?